Tuesday, May 4, 2021

Starting A Garden From Seeds!

 Welcome to the Garden! If your thinking about starting a vegetable or flower garden this Spring you should go or should I say sow for it! The cost is minimal and even if you just have a small space that's OK! 

Here in Southwest Florida planting a garden directly in the ground has many downfalls, where should I start? Hurricanes,  tribes of bugs ,oh and did I mention I live  a few miles from the Everglades so we have ample animal friends visiting in the evening .They are always up for a good veggie meal! 

So about 4 or so weeks ago I started some seeds. I purchased them from Home Depot. Cucumbers, squash,peppers, tomatoes, herbs and some flowers. Also about 9 bags of Miracle Grow container soil. Containers I chose to use what I had on hand, wait till you see what I used lol lol. I am going for an old vintage theme style area. The area is close to my Lanai so I can care for the gardens easily.  One thing I must say don't skimp on the soil, buy good quality soil. So I started the seeds about 3 1/2 weeks ago and I'm surprised at the growth level. 

I chose the small pickeling cucumbers  because we make alot of pickels. You can always find a large jar in the fridge to accompany a sandwich.  So I chose a large retired garden wagon for the cucumbers, a plastic mini pool for the tomatoes and various pots for the rest. The most important thing is have fun with it! And it's true gardening is good for the sole! Even if you have a small balcony in an apartment 5 gallon buckets are perfect! 



Sqash/ peppers
Cucumbers

So this growth is about two weeks time, be sure to keep your seeds well watered and lots of sunshine.




Tomatoes
Peppers

So what do you think of the tomato nursery? I am going for the ole rusty farmers garden that includes  an old window frame, a rusty garden bench and some fun signs I crafted. Garden containers can be just about anything but it's important to line them with garden liner and be sure to have ample drainage.


After cracking eggs for breakfast,  I save them and put them through the chopper and sprinkle them over all the plants this spreads nutrients and also keeps bugs away, they don't like walking on the shells it Hurts them. Really!

Garden tools can be found at most stores for about a couple dollars.  It's been fun digging in the dirt getting some sunshine ! Hope you will too start a bit of gardening you won't be sorry!
                             Happy gardening friends!
                                         Lisa
An old iron blanket holder holds pots and tools
I chose to put a piece of lattice around the tomatoes 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Love to chat so please leave a comment

Just About Any Piece Of Furniture Can Be Beautiful again!

 Welcome! Nice of you to stop by. How many of you have the old wooden piece of furniture sitting idle in your basement ,garage or attic? I w...