Friday, July 18, 2014

NOT YOUR ORDINARY PAINTED KITCHEN COUNTER TOPS!

Hi there, so happy you could stop by! I have been busy ...busy with garden and house projects. I decided to give the kitchen counters a paint treatment. I will be honest I started this project off with the idea of painting a faux granite treatment and I'll be honest with you I nailed it......perfect White, black, grey and tan paints all pretty in their faux disguise but for me I hated it, I don't even know why I pursued such a venture, My counter love is actually with soap stone. Someday that will be for now I started out with these few items .... An inexpensive  alternative to new counters.
 
 

 
Rustoleum paint, some tan paint painting gadgets and a soon, knife and fork stencil.
 
So this is what I came up with....
 
 
 

 The first step was a primer just water based, then I did 2 coats of the White Rustoleum followed by a light washing of the coffee color then I used  a trim pad to make the blocks and finally 4 coats of Polyuathane gloss. And finally actually before the Polly I stenciled some utensils on the outer part of the counter just to add some whimsy.
 
The finished has dried to a super hard finish , no I wont cut on it but that's ok that's what my butcher block is here for. 



 
 
I also painted the open cabinet black.





I get the effect of a cement counter top, what do you think?



You may recongnize this grate from it's former place that was over the fireplace. Window grates are widely used in the cities to deter brake ins etc. Actuall around here the only tresspassers are Brown bears and they could just pull the grate off quick just like opening up a can of soda. I thought it added a bit of interest to a boring window. A rag garland of white and black swags across the top. My bucket hangs a long side ready for a trip to the garden to gather.
 
Thank you so much for stopping by!

Come party with me!    www.cozylittlehouse.com/2014/07/tweak-it

No comments:

Post a Comment

Love to chat so please leave a comment

Just About Any Piece Of Furniture Can Be Beautiful again!

 Welcome! Nice of you to stop by. How many of you have the old wooden piece of furniture sitting idle in your basement ,garage or attic? I w...