Thursday, February 20, 2014

HAVE YOU EVER PLANTED COSMOS IN YOUR GARDEN? IF YOU HAVEN"T YOUR SO MISSING OUT!

Hi there, feeling that Spring fever here in Southwest Florida. I have started several plantings of flowers. A recent trip to Home depot introduced me to "Cosmos", such a pretty flower and also easy for first time gardeners. I have been told that Cosmos traditionally are started by gardeners with seeds and that finding these treasures at Home Depot is rare. I am so lucky to be able to get them as plants. They came two colors to a pot.




The name Cosmo means "Balanced Universe".  Rumor on the internet says that these gems should not be fertilized, that's always a good thing. They grow tall between 3- 6' tall and about 12-18 inches in width.


There are 20-26 different species of these beauties. Cosmos are annuals except for the Chocolate Cosmo, that's the one I am about to order online they are considered perenials, they have a sweet vanilla fragrance and are native to Mexico.




They are similar to marigolds when the flowers wilt you just pinch them off .




While butterflies and humming birds may flock to your Cosmos Deer will keep away which is a good thing seeing that we border the thick woods of the everglades where all animals roam. Since Monday the day I planted them they have already grown a couple of inches, I have them in a full sun bed that gets watered about every other day. I am also interested in the "candy Stripe" Cosmo but that and the Chocolate I will order online. Hope I have inspired you to fill your flower garden with these pretty Cosmos! Thanks for joining me in the garden!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Love to chat so please leave a comment

Just About Any Piece Of Furniture Can Be Beautiful again!

 Welcome! Nice of you to stop by. How many of you have the old wooden piece of furniture sitting idle in your basement ,garage or attic? I w...