Sunday, January 14, 2018

CRACKLE FINISH COUNTERTOPS FOR MY VINTAGE STYLE KITCHEN

Welcome !   Nice of you to stop on in today, if you have been a visitor you know that I love to do faux finishes  especially on my countertops one recent one I shared was my faux painted Soap stone dining room countertop. I just love soap stone to me it is one of my favorites so I studied it a bit and came up with this    https://mrsblackstone.blogspot.com/2017/08/painted-faux-soapstone-countertopsyou.html   I still have them and they are working out wonderful. So I was wanting to try something that would be vintage looking and to mimic old wood. To start with my counter tops  they were just done with some painters choice by Rust-oleum  So I cleaned the counters well with some warm water, After they were totally dry I gave them a coat of  Ebony rust-oleum Wood stain  and let it dry to the touch which means it would not smear 

This is an oil base paint not water cleanup.  I then applied some flat grey color paint I had on hand. After it was pretty much dry I took my favorite color "gramas green" to some you call it seafoam ??? I mixed this color myself and use it allot in my kitchen and living room . I gave it a brushing of this color but just here and there I left some of the grey showing........then the magic starts  as time went on and drying became more complete the crackling process began ,I must say this is the best I have seen . The black came through very well.

 

It gives an old wood look that works well with the farm /country kitchen theme


Under the shelf  I placed an old shutter that I placed a piece of material on





If you do decide to paint this crackle finish it would be wise to add a couple coats of this Polycrylic so the counter can take regular abuse. 


 This is a little Valentine sign and a heart garland over the stove

My kitchen window I decorated with a window with chicken fence and a pretty white topper I made 
                

Good luck if you try this process it is important to use soft brushes to apply the paints.

                                                            Until next time 
                                           Happy decorating & crafting   Lisa



No comments:

Post a Comment

Love to chat so please leave a comment

Just About Any Piece Of Furniture Can Be Beautiful again!

 Welcome! Nice of you to stop by. How many of you have the old wooden piece of furniture sitting idle in your basement ,garage or attic? I w...